Nursing (NURS) 441
Consolidated Professional Practice (Revision 4)
View previous revision
Delivery Mode: Paced study online with practicum component.
Area of Study: Applied Studies
Prerequisite: This course is open only to Post-LPN program students. Professor approval required. Students must have completed all other required nursing and non-nursing courses and all support and elective courses. Program Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 required.
College & Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (2011). Requisite skills and abilities for becoming a registered nurse in Alberta
NURS 441 is not available for challenge.
Nursing 441: Consolidated Professional Practice is a focused practicum course completed with the guidance of a preceptor. This clinical course provides students with the opportunity for application, integration, synthesis, and further growth of nursing knowledge, skills, and attitudes in a selected nursing practice setting (e.g., mental health, medical-surgical, community health). The emphasis is on the complexity of nursing care with clients (individuals, families, and/or aggregates).
Upon completion of NURS 441, the student will achieve or exceed the following learning outcomes:
- Demonstrate the synthesis and integration of theory, practice, and research while working with complex clients (individuals, families, and/or aggregates);
- Apply management and leadership theory throughout the clinical practice experience;
- Apply concepts related to population health, primary health care, and health promotion while working with individuals, families, and groups/aggregates with complex health care problems;
- Work independently and collaboratively with other disciplines and across health care sectors; and
- Comply with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA) Entry-level Competencies for the Practice of Registered Nurses (2019).
- Unit 1: Getting Started
- Unit 2: Developing a Learning Plan
- Unit 3: Forum Discussions
- Unit 4: Clinical Practice
- Unit 5: Important End of Program Information
To receive credit for NURS 441, students must complete all of the required assignments. Effective January 1, 2010, all papers submitted must follow the guidelines of the APA Publication Manual (6th ed.) (2010). The clinical practicum is graded on a pass/fail basis and students must successfully complete the practicum in order to pass the course. The required assignments are as follows:
|Assignment 1: Learning Plan||Pass/Fail|
|Assignment 2: Clinical Practice Forum Discussions||Pass/Fail|
|Assignment 3A: Formative evaluation using the Post-LPN Clinical Evaluation Tool||Pass/Fail|
|Assignment 3B: Summative evaluations using the Post-LPN Clinical Evaluation Tool||Pass/Fail|
There are no required textbooks for NURS 441. It is expected that students will consult reference materials, including textbooks, journals and Internet resources, for information directly related to their clinical practice.
A variety of electronic journals and websites are used in the course and paper copies are not included in the course package.
Athabasca University reserves the right to amend course outlines occasionally and without notice. Courses offered by other delivery methods may vary from their individualized-study counterparts.
Opened in Revision 4, July 17, 2019.
View previous revision