Nursing (NURS) 438
Trends and Issues in Nursing and Health Systems (Revision 7)
View previous revision
Area of Study: Applied Studies
Prerequisite: NURS 328; ENGL junior/senior (ENGL 255 recommended). Available only to Bachelor of Nursing students or with professor approval.
Faculty: Faculty of Health Disciplines
NURS 438 is not available for Challenge.
Nursing 438: Trends and Issues in Nursing and Health Systems introduces students to the position of nursing in the Canadian health care system. Perspectives to be explored include social, political, organizational, and legal/ethical factors. The continuing debate about the essence of nursing including professional issues is examined. The politics of health is discussed within the context of the Canadian health care system. Current issues are critically analyzed in relation to their influence on the nursing profession and nursing practice.
Upon completion of NURS 438, the student will achieve or exceed the following learning outcomes:
- Articulate the relationship between one’s personal values, beliefs and assumptions and one’s professional nursing practice;
- Discuss possibilities resulting from positioning oneself to be open to new ideas;
- Articulate and analyze current nursing and health care trends and issues;
- Articulate and analyze societal change and resulting challenges for nursing practice;
- Discuss appropriate resolution strategies for selected issues;
- Demonstrate understanding of ethical and legal issues in nursing practice;
- Demonstrate understanding of the major nursing organizations and their interrelated roles in regulating Canadian nursing;
- Discuss the relationship between nursing education and professional nursing practice; and
- Analyze nursing workplace environments for current trends and issues.
- Unit 1: Identifying Personal Values, Beliefs and Attitudes
- Unit 2: Articulating and Analyzing Current Nursing and Health Care System Trends and Issues
- Unit 3: Identifying Appropriate Issue Resolution Strategies
- Unit 4: Ethical and Legal Issues in Nursing Practice
- Unit 5: Nursing Education
- Unit 6: Professional Nursing Organizations
- Unit 7: Nursing Workplace Environments
- Unit 8: Interpersonal Violence
To receive credit for NURS 438, students must complete and submit all of the required assignments and achieve an overall composite grade of C (64 percent). All papers submitted must follow the guidelines of the current APA Publication Manual.
The assignments and weighting of the composite grade is as follows:
|Scholarly Paper A||40%|
|Scholarly Paper B||40%|
To learn more about assignments and examinations, please refer to Athabasca University's online Calendar.
McDonald, C. & McIntyre, M. (2019). Realities of Canadian nursing: Professional, practice and power issues (5th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
A print version of the eText may be available for purchase from the publisher through a direct-to-student link provided on the course website; you can also acquire the textbook on your own if you wish.
A variety of electronic journals and websites are used in the course and paper copies are not included in the course package.
Athabasca University reserves the right to amend course outlines occasionally and without notice. Courses offered by other delivery methods may vary from their individualized-study counterparts.
Opened in Revision 7, July 12, 2016.
View previous revision