Heritage Resources Management (HERM) 491
Heritage Certificate Practicum (Revision 1)
The practicum requires the completion of a 240-hour project. It is the capstone for the Undergraduate Certificate program and is undertaken by students who have completed or are concurrently taking all of the required Certificate courses. Students link the knowledge gained from these courses with their experiences in a particular heritage setting. Students identify in advance a practicum project and a suitable on-site practicum supervisor. The Professor, Heritage Resources Management, acts as the course professor for the practicum. Formal guidelines provide detailed guidance and set out the procedures for the successful completion of the practicum project.
- Formulate, plan, and implement an applied Heritage Resources Management (HRM) project was a host institution.
- Synthesize and apply relevant theory learned in HRM courses in an applied project.
- Work independently to implement a complex project.
- Work flexibly and capably with others in a professional work setting to implement a specific task.
- Demonstrate appropriate heritage professional analytical, organizational, and presentation skills.
- Objectively assess the success and limits of your project.
To receive credit in HERM 491, you must complete a 240-hour practicum project. The practicum is a pass/fail course and is assessed through the following reporting structure:
To learn more about assignments and examinations, please refer to Athabasca University's online Calendar.
There are no required textbooks for HERM 491. It is expected that students will consult appropriate reference materials—including textbooks, journals, and Internet resources—for information directly related to their practicum project.
Athabasca University reserves the right to amend course outlines occasionally and without notice. Courses offered by other delivery methods may vary from their individualized-study counterparts.
Opened in Revision 1, September 29, 2011.
Updated April 03 2019 by Student & Academic Services