Educational Psychology (EDPY) 403
Assessment and Instruction for Students with Diverse Needs (Revision 1)
Area of Study: Applied Studies
Precluded Course: EDPY 400, PSYC 348, PSYC 400, and PSYC 403. (EDPY 403 is a cross-listed course—a course listed under two different disciplines—with PSYC 403. EDPY 403 may not be taken for credit by students who have obtained credit for PSYC 403, EDPY 400, PSYC 400, or PSYC 348.)
EDPY 403 is not available for Challenge.
Educational Psychology 403: Assessment and Instruction for Students with Diverse Needs provides a practical approach to teaching and managing children with learning differences. It emphasizes evidenced-based practices, specific teaching and management strategies, the development of materials, and various classroom and curriculum modifications to meet the needs of students with learning difficulties. This course examines many aspects of teaching and suggests a variety of practical approaches reflecting a number of theories.
Educational Psychology 403 consists of eleven units divided into two main parts. The third part of the course consists of students doing the research for, and writing, the final assignment, a literature review paper, and completing two other assignments.
Part I: Understanding and Planning Instruction for Students with Learning and Behaviour Problems
- Unit 1: Monitoring and Teaching for Understanding
- Unit 2: Approaches to Learning and Teaching
- Unit 3: Response to Intervention and Multi-Tier Systems of Supports
- Unit 4: Managing Behaviour
- Unit 5: Coteaching and Collaboration: Working with Professionals and Families
Part II: Instructing Students with Learning and Behaviour Problems
- Unit 6: Assessing and Teaching Oral Language
- Unit 7: Assessing and Teaching Reading: Phonological Awareness, Phonics, and Word Recognition
- Unit 8: Assessing and Teaching Reading: Fluency and Comprehension
- Unit 9: Assessing and Teaching Writing and Spelling
- Unit 10: Assessing and Teaching Content Area Learning and Vocabulary
- Unit 11: Assessing and Teaching Mathematics
Part III: Research
To receive credit for EDPY 403, students are required to complete a Planning Exercise, Parts 1 and 2 of a Skills Survey, five Reflection assignments, an Individual Program Plan (IPP), and a Literature Review Paper. Students must achieve a grade of 50% or more on each assignment, and an overall course composite grade of 50%.
|Skills Survey Parts 1 and 2||5%|
|Individual Program Plan||40%|
|Literature Review Paper||25%|
Vaughn, S., & Bos, C. S. (2015). Strategies for teaching students with learning and behavior problems (9th ed., loose-leaf). Boston: Pearson.
All other course materials are online.
Athabasca University reserves the right to amend course outlines occasionally and without notice. Courses offered by other delivery methods may vary from their individualized-study counterparts.
Opened in Revision 1, October 4, 2017