Accounting (ACCT) 454
Management Control Systems and Decision Analysis (Revision 8)
View previous revision
Delivery Mode: Individualized study online with eTextbook
Area of Study: Applied Studies
(Business and Administrative Studies)
Faculty: Faculty of Business
ACCT 454 is not available for challenge.
ACCT454: Management control Systems and Decision Analysis teaches students about management control systems, which are used to align employee decisions and behaviours with organizational objectives and strategies. Establishing effective management controls is complex because it involves assessing the needs of an organization and the effects and costs of different combinations of possible approaches. The other key aspect of the course is decision analysis, which is necessary for managers to make strategic financial and performance management decisions for today’s dynamic organizations.
The course comprises 16 lessons, divided among six units.
Unit 1: The Control Function of Management
- Lesson 1: Management and Control
Unit 2: Management Control Alternatives and Their Effects
- Lesson 2: Results Controls
- Lesson 3: Action, Personnel, and Cultural Controls
- Lesson 4: Control System Tightness
- Lesson 5: Control System Costs
- Lesson 6: Designing and Evaluating Management Control Systems
Unit 3: Financial Results Controls Systems
- Lesson 7: Financial Responsibility Centres
- Lesson 8: Planning and Budgeting
- Lesson 9: Incentive Systems
Unit 4: Performance Measurement Issues and Their Effects
- Lesson 10: Financial Performance Measures and Their Effects
- Lesson 11: Remedies to the Myopia Problem
- Lesson 12: Using Financial Results Controls in the Presence of Uncontrollable Factors
Unit 5: Corporate Governance, Important Control-Related Roles, and Ethics
- Lesson 13: Corporate Governance and Boards of Directors
- Lesson 14: Controllers and Auditors
- Lesson 15: Management Control-Related Ethical Issues
Unit 6: Management Control When Financial Results Are Not the Primary Consideration
- Lesson 16: Management Control in Not-for-profit Organizations
|Assignment 1: Case Study||15%|
|Assignment 2: Case Study||15%|
|Assignment 3: Case Study||15%|
|Lesson quizzes (16 @ 1.25% each)||20%|
The final examination for this course must be taken online with an AU-approved exam invigilator at an approved invigilation centre. It is your responsibility to ensure your chosen invigilation centre can accommodate online exams. For a list of invigilators who can accommodate online exams, visit the Exam Invigilation Network.
Merchant, K. A., & Van der Stede, W. A. (2017). Management control systems: Performance measurement, evaluation and incentives (4th ed.). Pearson Education. ISBN-10: 1292110554; ISBN-13: 9781292110554.
You may be able to acquire a print copy of the textbook on your own, if you wish. Ensure that the edition number matches that given above.
All other learning resources will be available online.
Athabasca University reserves the right to amend course outlines occasionally and without notice. Courses offered by other delivery methods may vary from their individualized-study counterparts.
Opened in Revision 8, April 7, 2021.
View previous revision