Accounting (ACCT) 352
Intermediate Financial Accounting II (Revision 12)
View previous syllabus
Area of Study: Applied Studies
(Business and Administrative Studies)
Prerequisite: ACCT 351 (or an equivalent intermediate financial accounting course)
Faculty: Faculty of Business
ACCT 352 is not available for challenge.
Accounting 352: Intermediate Financial Accounting II is the second course in the two-course intermediate accounting sequence. It provides in-depth coverage of
- accounting issues associated with the equity side of the Balance Sheet (liabilities and shareholders’ equity). This includes both procedural and conceptual issues, as well as consideration of matters related to presentation and disclosure.
- other issues including accounting for income taxes, employee future benefits, accounting for leases, and financial statement analysis.
Many of these topics were covered in introductory financial accounting and are repeated in intermediate financial accounting but in a much more comprehensive fashion. The prerequisite for ACCT 352 is Accounting 351: Intermediate Financial Accounting I or its equivalent from another post-secondary institution.
If you have gaps in your prerequisite knowledge, it is your responsibility to review the relevant Intermediate Financial Accounting I material. Academic Experts for this course will not review prerequisite material, but may suggest what Intermediate Financial Accounting I topics should be reviewed.
- Chapter 12: Curent Liabilities
- Chapter 13: Long-Term Financial Liabilities
- Chapter 14: Complex Financial Instruments
- Chapter 15: Income Taxes
- Chapter 16: Pensions and Other Employment Benefits
- Chapter 17: Leases
- Chapter 18: Shareholders' Equity
- Chapter 19: Earnings Per Share
- Chapter 20: Statement of Cash Flows
- Chapter 21: Changes and Errors
- Chapter 22: Disclosures and Analysis
To receive credit for ACCT 352, you must achieve
- a mark of at least a D (50 percent) on each of the Midterm and Final examinations
- an overall composite grade of D (50 percent).
The following chart summarizes the evaluation activities for this course.
|Activity||Credit Weight||When to Complete|
|LYRYX Assignments||20% of final grade||ongoing in LYRYX|
|Midterm Examination||35% of final grade||after Chapter 16|
|Final Examination||45% of final grade||after Chapter 22|
The examination(s) for this course will be written in the traditional pen and paper format. To learn more about assignments and examinations, please refer to Athabasca University's online Calendar.
Registration in this course includes an electronic textbook.
Arnold, G., & Kyle, S. (2018). Intermediate financial accounting (Vol. 2, revision A edition).
The e-textbook is available through the Download Textbook link in LYRYX.
All other learning resources will be available online.
The Sharp EL-738/EL-738C and 738FC calculators are recommended. The TI-BAII Plus, HP-10BII+, or Casio FC-200V non-programmable calculators may be used when writing examinations in this course
Athabasca University reserves the right to amend course outlines occasionally and without notice. Courses offered by other delivery methods may vary from their individualized-study counterparts.
Opened in Revision 12, May 4, 2017.
View previous syllabus