Cultural Studies and Everyday Life (Revision 1)
Cultural Studies 201: Cultural Studies and Everyday Life is a junior-level, three-credit course that takes as its organizing metaphor, Raymond Williams’s remark that “culture is ordinary.” This course will provide an introduction to cultural studies by exploring, reflecting on, and evaluating how, on a daily basis, we are immersed in culture.
- To demystify the idea of “culture” by showing the ways in which it permeates our everyday lives.
- To question the distinction between things deemed to be cultural and things assumed to be natural.
- To explore the ways in which everyday culture can be a site of contestation.
CLST 201 consist of the following six units.
- Unit 1: Culture is Ordinary
- Unit 2: Domestic Cultures
- Unit 3: Workplace Cultures
- Unit 4: Recreational Cultures
- Unit 5: Culture and Community
- Unit 6: Culture, Experience, Identity
|Assignment 1||Assignment 2||Assignment 3||Assignment 4||Total|
To learn more about assignments and examinations, please refer to Athabasca University's online Calendar.
Fedorak, Shirley. Pop Culture: The Culture of Everyday Life. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2009.
Peter Weir (Director). The Truman Show. Paramount, 1998.
Kinka Usher (Director). Mystery Men. Universal, 1999.
Gurinder Chada (Director). Bend It Like Beckham. 20th Century Fox, 2002.
All other course materials are available online.
The Challenge for Credit process allows students to demonstrate that they have acquired a command of the general subject matter, knowledge, intellectual and/or other skills that would normally be found in a university level course.
Full information for the Challenge for Credit can be found in the Undergraduate Calendar.
Undergraduate Challenge for Credit Course Registration Form
Athabasca University reserves the right to amend course outlines occasionally and without notice. Courses offered by other delivery methods may vary from their individualized-study counterparts.
Opened in Revision 1, March 20, 2012
Updated May 10 2016 by Student & Academic Services