Language and Culture (Revision 7)
View previous syllabus
Delivery Mode: Individualized study online
Area of Study: Social Science
Prerequisite: None. ANTH 275 is recommended.
Téluq equivalency: LIN 1001
ANTH 354 is not available for challenge.
ANTH 354 introduces students to linguistic anthropology, one of four subfields of anthropology. (The other three subfields are cultural anthropology, biological anthropology, and archaeology.) Culture cannot be studied without language but linguistic anthropology provides much more to anthropology than the means to study culture. It covers the entire scope of humans and languages, from the biological basis of language to the role of language in culture, and describes the major techniques and methods used by linguistic anthropologists to study languages in cultures all over the world.
ANTH 354 consists of the following eleven units:
- Unit 1: The Study of Language and the Nature and Origins of Human Languages
- Unit 2: Phonology 1: The Production of Speech Sounds
- Unit 3: Phonology 2: Sound Patterns and Phonological Environments
- Unit 4: Morphology and Writing Systems
- Unit 5: Language Change, History, and Classification
- Unit 6: Syntax: The Sentence Patterns of Language
- Unit 7: Language Acquisition
- Unit 8: Semantics
- Unit 9: Ethnolinguistics
- Unit 10: Sociolinguistics: Language and Society
- Unit 11: Conversation Analysis
The weighting of the composite grade is as follows:
To learn more about assignments and examinations, please refer to Athabasca University's online Calendar.
Hickerson, Nancy Parrott 2010 Linguistic Anthropology. Custom edition. Fort Worth, TX: Harcourt College Publishers.
Rowe, Bruce M., and Diane P. Levine 2015 A Concise Introduction to Linguistics. 4th edition. New York, NY: Routledge.
The course materials also include a course manual and a study guide.
Athabasca University reserves the right to amend course outlines occasionally and without notice. Courses offered by other delivery methods may vary from their individualized-study counterparts.
Opened in Revision 7, February 15, 2016.
View previous version
Updated February 13 2018 by Student & Academic Services