Course Procedures

Following the correct process and timelines for registering in, withdrawing from and extending your courses will help keep your AU experience running smoothly.

Course registrations

Undergraduate courses begin on the first of each month. You must register and pay by the 10th of the month to start your course on the 1st of the next month.

How to register for courses

Course withdrawals

You can withdraw from a course with no academic penalty within the first 30 days of the course and it will not appear on your transcript. Withdrawals after this time will result in a grade of “W” (Withdrawal) on your transcript. Courses with a “W” grade are not included in your GPA.

You may not withdraw from a course in the following situations

  • when you have written the final exam
  • after all coursework has been submitted for marking if there is no final exam
  • if you are involved in a disciplinary proceeding involving academic or non-academic misconduct

Withdrawal process

You must follow the Withdraw From a Course process in myAU to withdraw from a course. Not completing your course requirements does not count as withdrawing.


You will be eligible for a refund (minus a processing fee) if you withdraw within the first 30 days of the course. You may also be eligible for a learning resource fee refund if we receive your learning resources complete, unmarked and undamaged within 30 days of your course withdrawal.

The withdrawal processing fee is different for graduate students. See the Fees section of your program’s website for details.

Please note that you must formally withdraw from your course through the Withdraw From a Course option in myAU to get your refund. After the first 30 days, no refund will be provided.

Failure to withdraw

Not completing course requirements does not count as withdrawing. If you haven’t completed any course work by the course contract end date, you will receive an “F” (Failure) on your transcript. This grade will be calculated as part of your GPA.

Related policies

Course extensions

If you can’t complete your course within your 6- or 12-month course contract period, you can buy up to 3 two-month extensions. If you have student loans, an extension may affect your funding. Contact Student Financial Aid before you apply for an extension.

You must apply for your extension no later than 1 month before your course contract end date. You can apply for an extension in myAU, in the Student Record section.

Related policies