Welcome to Athabasca University. Your student experience at AU won’t be the same as at a traditional university, but we’ll help you through the new parts. We have lots of experience in distance education – it’s been our focus since 1972.
Once you’ve finished your application you’re an AU student and you can register for courses right away.
Your main point of contact with AU as a student will be through myAU, our student portal.
Your first course – what you need to know
Before your course begins, check myAU for
- tutor or student support centre information, including contact information and hours
- a link to your course site and a learning resource package that includes a recommended study schedule
Once you receive your course materials, you should
- review your course syllabus to determine the major assignments and exam requirements
- use the recommended study schedule to plan your studies – you should plan to complete all of your course requirements at least 4 to 6 weeks before the date that the final grade is required
During your course, you should
- follow your personal study schedule to complete your readings, assignments and quizzes
- follow up with your tutor/student support centre when you need help
- consult our study skills resources or contact a counsellor if you’re feeling overwhelmed
- request your exams well ahead of your course end date
Changing from a non-program to a program student
If you’re currently a non-program student and you decide to enter an AU program, the credits you’ve already earned may be applied to your new program. Be sure to contact an advisor before starting your new program to find out if your previous courses will be accepted.
To change your student status from non-program to program:
- Log in to myAU.
- Click “Change Your Program” in the Manage Your Program section.
- Select the “applying to a specific program” option and complete the rest of the form.
- If you haven’t already had your previous post-secondary studies evaluated for AU transfer credit, you should do so now. There is a one-time fee for this service.
You are now ready to register for your courses.