Applying as a visiting student

A visiting student is someone who attends one institution (also known as your home institution) but takes courses at another, in this case, at Athabasca University. This allows you to take courses to fill your schedule, improve your grade or get better flexibility in your studies.

Regardless of whether you plan to take just one course, the application process at AU remains the same as for any other student. However, the specific requirements and application may differ slightly depending on the level of study you intend to pursue.

Ensure you know any special considerations your home institution has regarding course completion, withdrawal, extensions, supplemental exams, delivery mode and additional fees to your home institution. For example, some institutions require that their students complete the course within specified timelines, will not accept a grade if a supplemental exam has been written, or will not accept a grade if it was taken by Challenge for Credit.

Taking undergraduate courses as a visiting student

Before you can register for a course, you must become an AU visiting learner (also known as a non-program student) by applying online. Once you have been admitted, you can register within your myAU portal.

How to enrol as a visiting student

  1. Fill out the Undergraduate General Application, and enrol as a non-program student.
  2. Pay the one-time general application fee.
  3. Write down your AU student ID number at the end of the application process. Your ID number will also appear on your printed or emailed receipt if you choose one of those options.
  4. You are now ready to register for AU undergraduate courses as a visiting student.
Apply as a visiting student

Register for a course

  1. Use your AU student ID number to log into myAU
  2. Click on "Register for a Course" and follow the steps
  3. If you are studying at another institution, and wish to transfer credit back, find the course in which you received a letter of permission from your home institution
  4. Pay for your course

Undergraduate students enrolled at another school

If you’re already taking a degree program at another school, you can register for individual courses as a visiting student at AU.

Remember that you can only start a full AU degree once you've completed or withdrawn from your other program.

Learn more about transferring credit to other institutions

Graduate students enrolled at another school

If you're currently studying at another university and wish to take an AU course to fulfill a requirement in your program, you will also need to register as an open studies student. We recommend getting a letter of permission from your school to ensure that the credits you earn at AU will transfer to your program. This letter is for your reference and does not need to be sent to AU.

Transferring a course to your institution?

AU offers a wide range of courses that are easily transferable to other post-secondary institutions. We've compiled everything you need to help you find an AU course that seamlessly aligns with your program.

Take your first step to online learning

We'll send you helpful information about programs, financial options, applying, and studying at AU.

Updated November 06, 2023 by Digital & Web Operations (