Ask AU

Get real-time answers to common questions about AU, including fees, admissions, courses, programs, transcripts, and exams.

Ask in the form of a question, such as "When do your courses start?"

Our closest match to your question:

Why do students living outside of Alberta pay higher fees?

Post-secondary education in Canada is under the jurisdiction of provincial governments.  Athabasca University receives funding from the Alberta Ministry of Advanced Education based on the number of students that reside in our province.  Differential fees are charged to students that reside outside of Alberta (out of province fee).  Students are requested to confirm their address and residency each time they register in a course.

Canadians traveling or residing outside of the country will also pay this differential fee.  AU has no process to determine when a student living abroad may return to Canada.

Athabasca University is currently engaged in a tuition and fee review which may lead to changes to registration fees in the future.

Here is more information on Tuition and Fees 


Explore Questions by Topic

Not finding your answer? Contact us.

For a thorough response, please provide these additional details:

AU students are encouraged to use the email address noted on their student record:

* What can we help you with?

The personal information collected on this form will be used for the purpose of processing requests, creating student records and for generating market research statistics. This personal information is being collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, contact FOIP Policy Coordinator Athabasca University, Athabasca University, 1 University Drive, Athabasca, AB Canada T9S 3A3. Telephone: 780-675-6111.