Ask AU

Get real-time answers to common questions about AU, including fees, admissions, courses, programs, transcripts, and exams.

Ask in the form of a question, such as "When do your courses start?"

Our closest match to your question:

What is a T2202?

The T2202 is an official income tax receipt issued by qualifying educational institutions for tuition, education and textbook tax credits. Each student must determine whether or not they are eligible for these tax credits on a personal income tax return based on their own circumstances.

Why does AU need my social insurance number (SIN)?

Due to changes from the Canada Revenue Agency, Athabasca University (AU) is now required to collect Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) to produce T2202 tax forms (which replaces the former T2202A form). 
You can learn more about this change on the Government of Canada's website

You can find more information about how to update your SIN in your myAU account by visiting the frequently asked questions on AU’s Finance site.

Please note that you should only submit your SIN through the secured form available through your myAU account. AU will not ask you to submit or accept your SIN through any other method.

How do I enter my SIN into AU’s system?
Log into your myAU account. You will then find on the left-hand side, a section title, “Manage your Student Record.” Click into the change personal information link.

If your SIN is already entered, they you will get a green box that tells you no need to enter.

If it is missing, you will be prompted to enter your SIN.

Where do I get my T2202?

You can access your T2202 through myAU.

Why doesn’t the amount on my T2202 match the amount I paid for my courses?

  • A T2202 only reports “eligible fees.” Non-tuition related fees (such as Student Association fees) are not eligible. For detailed tax information, visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.
  • Tuition, which does not include Student Union or Alumni fees, is calculated from your start date. Course contracts that extend beyond December 31, are pro-rated over the length of the contract.
  • The months reported on a T2202 are for each month in the calendar year you were enrolled as a full-time or part-time student. Course contracts that extend beyond December 31, are pro-rated over the length of the contract.
  • Course extensions are not considered for the purposes of calculating full or part time status, however, students will receive financial credit for the fees paid on an extension.
  • Only tuition and fees greater than $100 are eligible for T2202.

Will the University send my T2202 to me by email?

No. Due to the non-confidential nature of email, under no circumstances will the University disclose this information to anyone through email.

What if the address on my T2202 is incorrect, do I need a new T2202?

No. You may submit the T2202 information as received even if the address is incorrect. According to CRA, it is not necessary for students to submit the T2202 with the income tax return unless CRA requests it.

Can I print a duplicate copy of a T2202?


Who may I contact at the University about T2202 inquiries?

Why am I receiving a "Supplemental Information to Tuition and Enrolment Certificate"?

The supplemental information to tuition and enrolment certificate (breakdown by month) may be required for completion of your Federal or Provincial Income Tax Return if you are preparing your tax return in a province that eliminated either the tuition tax credit or education tax credit during the calendar year.  Please refer to the Government of Canada website at for additional information..


See more: When will my tax receipt be issued?

Explore Questions by Topic

Not finding your answer? Contact us.

For a thorough response, please provide these additional details:

AU students are encouraged to use the email address noted on their student record:

* What can we help you with?

The personal information collected on this form will be used for the purpose of processing requests, creating student records and for generating market research statistics. This personal information is being collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, contact FOIP Policy Coordinator Athabasca University, Athabasca University, 1 University Drive, Athabasca, AB Canada T9S 3A3. Telephone: 780-675-6111.