Ask AU

Get real-time answers to common questions about AU, including fees, admissions, courses, programs, transcripts, and exams.

Ask in the form of a question, such as "When do your courses start?"

Our closest match to your question:

Can I take courses if I am not enrolled in a program?

Yes! Whether it's for personal interest, to see if university is right for you, or to earn university credits, you can take one or more courses at Athabasca University without enrolling in a program. Relevant credits can be applied towards a program in the future.

Undergraduate Courses

You can register as an unclassified student (a student who is not enrolled in an AU degree, diploma, or certificate program) or as a visiting student (a student taking courses at AU for transfer credit to another post-secondary institution).

More information: Admission classifications

Graduate Courses

Many graduate courses can be taken by students who are not enrolled in a program.

Complete the graduate application. For "program", select the non-program application option for the subject area that interests you.

Explore Questions by Topic

Not finding your answer? Contact us.

For a thorough response, please provide these additional details:

AU students are encouraged to use the email address noted on their student record:

* What can we help you with?

The personal information collected on this form will be used for the purpose of processing requests, creating student records and for generating market research statistics. This personal information is being collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, contact FOIP Policy Coordinator Athabasca University, Athabasca University, 1 University Drive, Athabasca, AB Canada T9S 3A3. Telephone: 780-675-6111.