Ask AU

Get real-time answers to common questions about AU, including fees, admissions, courses, programs, transcripts, and exams.

Ask in the form of a question, such as "When do your courses start?"

Our closest match to your question:

Can I receive credit for Prior Learning?

Athabasca University’s Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process can award you credit for prior and/or experiential learning can be used toward Athabasca University degrees or university certificates. Experiential learning may have been acquired from life experience, job training, workshops, seminars, or other experiences.

PLAR-awarded credit is separate and different from receiving transfer credit for previous recognized formal learning. PLAR is a choice, not a requirement. Doing PLAR may not suit everyone’s learning style.

Visit our Centre for Learning Accreditation for more information about PLAR, including a copy of a sample virtual portfolio.

Explore Questions by Topic

Not finding your answer? Contact us.

For a thorough response, please provide these additional details:

AU students are encouraged to use the email address noted on their student record:

* What can we help you with?

The personal information collected on this form will be used for the purpose of processing requests, creating student records and for generating market research statistics. This personal information is being collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Alberta Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. If you have any questions about the collection and use of this information, contact FOIP Policy Coordinator Athabasca University, Athabasca University, 1 University Drive, Athabasca, AB Canada T9S 3A3. Telephone: 780-675-6111.