Bachelor of Nursing: Post RN
Number of credits required from Athabasca University: 15 credits (must be in required nursing courses)
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the post RN BN program, graduates will achieve or exceed the following program learning outcomes:
- Engage in baccalaureate registered nursing practice compliant with the Canadian Nursing College and/or Association of Registered Nurses with which they hold active licensure, while demonstrating registered nursing practice consistent with the present:
- CNA Code of Ethics for Registered Nurses
- Applicable Health Professions Act (HPA)
- Applicable common law, provincial and federal legislation that directs practice.
- Integrate concepts of population health, primary health care and health promotion while working with individuals, families and communities with complex alterations in health.
- Synthesize theory, evidence based practice and research while working with individuals, families and communities with complex alterations in health.
- Model leadership behaviors such as reflection, advocacy and integrity to influence self and others toward goal achievement.
- Function effectively as a baccalaureate registered nurse utilizing critical inquiry processes to act in situations of uncertainty and ambiguity.
- Work collaboratively with other disciplines and across health care sectors.
- Incorporate personal integrity, responsibility and accountability in employment, community activities and further study.
- Demonstrate commitment to scholarship and lifelong learning that includes self-reflection, self-direction and technological innovation.
- Canadian Nurses Association. (2008). Code of Ethics for Registered Nurses. Ottawa, ON: Author.
- College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta. (2003). Nursing Practice Standards. Edmonton, AB: Author.
- Council of Ministers of Education, Canada. (2007). Ministerial Statement on Quality Assurance of Degree Education in Canada: Canadian Degree Qualifications Framework. Retrieved from
Updated December 10 2016 by Web Strategy, Advancement