Bachelor of Arts: Humanities Concentration (3-Year)
Number of credits required from Athabasca University: 30 credits.
Maximum credit awarded in this program for prior learning through Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) processes: 6 credits.
Program Learning Outcomes
As a result of completing this program, students should be able to
- evaluate information for its relevance and reliability.
- interpret historical and literary sources carefully and evaluate the interpretative perspectives contained therein.
- recognize the ways in which knowledge and the arts are socially constructed and sanctioned.
- articulate logical arguments based on relevant information.
- demonstrate familiarity with the methods and procedures of several humanities disciplines.
- demonstrate acquired knowledge in several humanities disciplines.
- perceive parallels and relationships in the evolution of philosophy, social and political thought, literature, music and the visual arts.
- show an awareness of diverse forms of knowledge and ways of understanding the human situation.
- accurately integrate data, research and insights from related disciplines.
- plan and conduct broadly based, interdisciplinary research.
- communicate research results orally in a clear and effective manner.
- compose clearly written, structured and well-documented essays and reports.
Possible Career Options
- Government Officer
- Research Project Manager
- Arts Administrator
- Publishing Assistant
- Film or Television Producer
Possible Further Education Options
At Athabasca University
- Bachelor of Arts: Humanities Major (4-year)
- Master of Arts – Integrated Studies (MAIS)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Education in Distance Education (MEd)
- Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Distance Education Technology
At Other Educational Institutions*
- English as a second language (ESL) teacher training
- library science
- police studies
* Some universities will not accept a three-year degree for admittance into a graduate program. An additional year of study may be required. It is the students’ responsibility to research the entrance requirements of other universities.
Updated June 26 2017 by Web Strategy, Advancement
View this program's academic requirements.