Skip To Content

Student Handbook

Registration References

Registration FAQs

Can I register for a course and be billed later for it?

No. Payment must accompany the course registration request. Without it, your registration will not be processed.

How do I register to become an AU student?

To become a student with AU, complete an Undergraduate General Application Form and submit the one-time, nonrefundable application fee. If you are already a registered student, you do not have to complete this form or submit this fee again.

Learn more about applying, enrolling and registering.

Is there a deadline to apply to become a student at AU?

No. Because AU has an open admission policy you can apply for admission at any time of the year.

How do I register in an AU course?

To register in a course, login to myAU, complete an Undergraduate Course Registration Form and submit the course fees. Paper forms can be found at the back of the Athabasca University Calendar, online, or at the AU Locations. You may also refer to the Course Availability Report. View also: Contacts and Online Resources.

When will I know if I'm registered?

You will receive a confirmation of registration letter via e-letter or postal mail depending on your preference as stated when you applied to be a student. If you do not receive confirmation, contact the AU Information Centre. If you register online, you will get a receipt at the end of the electronic registration.

Is there a deadline for registering in an AU course?

AU's individualized-study courses begin on the first day of a month. Course registrations must be processed by the 10th day of the previous month in order to have a start date of the first day of the next month. For example, if you would like a March 1 start date, your completed Undergraduate Course Registration Form would have to be processed on or before the 10th day of February. When deciding on a course start date, be sure to take shipping times into consideration. Refer to Shipping Options and Delivery Times.

How long do I have to complete a course?

If you are registered in a three- or four-credit course, you will have up to six months to complete it. If you are registered in a six-credit course, you will have up to 12 months to complete it. If you are a Canadian student receiving financial aid, refer to Student Financial Aid.

Can I complete my courses sooner than in 6 or 12 months?

Yes - if you have opted for the individualized-study method. If you successfully complete all of the required course work before the end of the course contract date, you will receive credit for the course.

How long do I have to complete a degree?

Most of AU's undergraduate degree programs are opened-ended; there is no time limit for the completion of an undergraduate degree. The Bachelor of Commerce e-Commerce major is one exception.

However, you should remain active in your credential or you may have to re-enrol.

To attend AU, am I required to have a computer, and, if so, what type of system should I have?

Please refer to the Online Calendar to learn about computer requirements.

My course contract date will soon be up, but I need more time to finish my assignments, study, or write my exam. What can I do?

You may request a two-month extension to your original individualized-study course contract. A fee is required for each extension. Extensions are not available for grouped study courses.

As a visiting student, will AU automatically send my home institution a copy of my transcript, once I finish my course(s)?

No. You must request that a transcript be sent and submit the appropriate fee to the Office of the Registrar.

As a visiting student, can I take a course without the approval of my home institution?

Yes, but to ensure that the course will be credited toward the program you're in, you should obtain a Letter of Permission from your home institution.

Back to top...

Student & Academic Services - Last Updated October 11, 2012

Related Links