Get Credit for My Education

If you have taken previous post-secondary courses, or have already completed a previous certificate, diploma or degree, you may be able to get transfer credit toward your Athabasca University degree. Our transfer credit assessment tool can give you an idea of how your previous courses might transfer.

Please note that some programs limit how long your previous courses will be considered for transfer credit. See our Transfer Credit Time Limits page for more information.

How it works

Transfer credit is applied to a specific AU program. Request an evaluation of your previous credit during your application by choosing to enrol in a program, and indicating that you would like a transfer credit evaluation. You will need to pay a one-time evaluation fee.

If you are already an AU student, you can request an evaluation by logging in to myAU and selecting "Change of Program." Then select your program and complete the process, indicating that you would like to have your transfer credit evaluated.

Once you have requested the evaluation, you must arrange to have official transcripts from each institution you formerly attended sent directly to:

Athabasca University
Enrolment Services
Office of the Registrar
1 University Drive
Athabasca, AB T9S 3A3

Procedure for evaluating transfer credit

How long will it take?

It can take up to 12 weeks to complete your evaluation.

Current processing time: 2 weeks after all documents are received.

Previous post-secondary courses

Get credit for your previous post-secondary coursework – even if you did not complete a diploma or degree. Our transfer credit assessment tool can give you an idea of how your previous courses might transfer, but if your courses aren't listed, don't worry. We'll still assess your credits on an individual basis.

Previous diploma or related credentials

Our online post-diploma programs are great if you already hold a post-secondary diploma or credentials related to your area of study. This could give you up to 3 years of credit toward your AU degree.

If you're interested in one of our other programs, you may still be eligible for block transfer credit, depending on your program.

Previous undergraduate degree

If you have an existing undergraduate degree, your previous courses can be considered for credit toward up to 50% of your AU degree requirements. You must follow the transfer credit evaluation process to be considered for this credit. 

However, you can’t get a second undergraduate degree in the same field as your previous degree (or in a related field). If you already hold a BA, you may be able to get a second BA if you major in a different area. Read AU’s Second Undergraduate Degree Policy (pdf).

Transfer credit for foreign credentials

If you have credentials from an institution outside of Canada or the United States and you would like AU to consider them for transfer credit, you'll follow a different assessment process. This assessment must be done by an international assessment agency – for example, the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS).

AU requires a description of course work evaluation from IQAS. We only accept detailed course-by-course assessments.

You must also submit copies of all foreign transcripts used in the assessment to AU.

Updated April 18 2017 by Web Strategy, University Relations