If your native language is not English, you must demonstrate English Language Proficiency (ELP) to take Athabasca University courses. AU accepts the following as proof of English Language Proficiency.
- Completion of high school in an English-speaking country.
- Completion of 15 university credits from a recognized English-speaking university, or 1 year at a non-university post-secondary institution with an overall average of 75% (GPA of 3.0).
- Minimum score of 6 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- Minimum score of 60% on the Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL).
- Minimum score of 80 on the Michigan English Language Battery (MELAB) test.
- Minimum score of 59 on the Pearson Test of English (PTE).
- Minimum score of 213 on the computer- or paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL PBT), with 4.5 on the Test of Written English (TWE).
- Minimum score of 80 with an essay score of 20 on the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT).
- Successful completion of AU’s English Language Proficiency Program with an overall average of 75% (GPA of 3.0).
See the English Language Proficiency Requirements Policy (pdf) for further details.
Updated April 21 2016 by Web Strategy, Advancement