Take Undergraduate Courses

Whether you need a course to transfer to a program elsewhere, for professional development, or just for fun, you can do it as a non-program student at Athabasca University.

Non-program (or unclassified) students are those who want to take courses without registering in a degree, diploma or certificate program. If you later decide to enter an AU program, you can apply credits earned now toward your future program (if the credits fit that program’s requirements).

How to enrol as a non-program student

To become a non-program student:

  1. Fill out the Undergraduate General Application, and choose to enrol as a non-program student.
  2. Pay the one-time general application fee
  3. Write down your AU student ID number at the end of the application process. Your ID number will also appear on your printed or e-mailed receipt if you choose one of those options.

Congratulations – you’re now officially an AU student. You are now ready to register for your courses.

Visiting students

If you’re enrolled at another university and want to take an AU course for one of your program requirements, you’ll also register as a non-program student. Learn more about transferring credit to other institutions.

Returning students

Once you become an AU student, you're always an AU student. You can easily reactivate your status and resume your studies whenever you want. Get details about returning to AU.

Updated September 12 2017 by Web Strategy, University Relations